QUOTE OF THE WEEK: "Close you eyes, clear your heart, cut the cord." THE KILLERS

Friday, January 14, 2011

Archives:Sledgehammer



Back in the day I was obsessed with Napoleon Dynamite (still am). Its still a top 10 all time for me. 
So much so that I had to have a Sledgehammer. So I built one.
Its really a 2001 Fuel 98.
But back in 2006-2007 it was a Sledgehammer. Here I am on a winter beach ride in 07.
You would not believe the attention I got when I drove by a bunch of kids with it on the roof rack. I lot of people did not get it. But the ones who did really did appreciate the bike as much as I did.
Its was a fun bike to race. All the cool people wanted to take it off some sweet jumps (if I had a nickel for every time someone said that to me).
Still with me in spirit.

Sadly, I was riding solo out in Greenbush one morning when I heard a big crack and looked down to see the seat tube broke clean off just above the BB. I was devastated. I was nearly in tears as I walked out of the woods.

The frame now hangs in the store, in the back hall, on the alarm system thingie.
I still reach up and touch it as I walk past now and then and have thought about doing another one but I wont. Some things you just leave alone.

I miss riding the sledgehammer but am happy for time we did have together....
The weekend looks good from here. Bikes, ski's and Packers.

DLD

3 comments:

  1. Man those treks never break there

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah I know..... and I must say they Trek was on the ball and replaced the frame no questions asked. and this was before I was a dealer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You woulda got like 3 feet of air if you had taken it off of some sweet jumps!

    ReplyDelete