QUOTE OF THE WEEK: "Close you eyes, clear your heart, cut the cord." THE KILLERS

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Long Haul Trucker.

The Long Haul Trucker is almost ready to go. Just mount these to rad Surly racks and fenders and its pretty much good to go. I am looking forward to using it. Not only for touring\commuting but I think it will make a good winter bike too. Its got wheels, brakes and rear driveline off one of my old MTB's. Crank is a 10 year old Ultegra last used on Pinky. Shifters off of Pinky too.
And I am planning a tour this summer. Most likely a weekender, but a tour none the less.
Maintenance at the HP. They keep it looking good for me 815am
Along with my normal summer bike riding I always like to do "other" types of riding. MTB racing is one of those. Track racing is another. And then the natural progression will lead me to century's. And then touring.
I start every spring with all the best intentions. Lose weight. Get fit (fit enough to race anyway) and do the bike stuff all summer. Then, one by one, I ditch the rides. First to go is the track. Im just too heavy and it is an hour and a half away on a Tuesday nite.
Then, next in line would be the century's. Would not be able to keep up to the group let alone for 100 miles. Then, I cut back on the MTB races. At minimum I always do a couple a year. So far this year I have only done one.... the opener in early May. Have not been to one since. But I plan on one or two more this summer. So ditching most of this summers ambitions have left a pretty good sized hole in my schedule that I have just filled with work. Enter the Long Haul Trucker (and the Pugsly).


Touring is a ton of fun. But kinda expensive to do it right. Sure, I got into the bike pretty cheap, but its the light weight tents, bags and camping stuff thats costly. You cant just but a tent from Walmart. Way to big and heavy. The tent Im looking at weighs 38 oz and packs into a 20 by 4 inch space.
So you need to be a little backpacker fancy to tour. Then the good panniers are pricey too. Water proof is the only way to go. Just buy the best bags you can get. They last forever.


Next year I am thinking of a touring clinic and maybe setting up a small tour to a local park. Self supported of course. That would be fun. And thoughts on that are for another day.
As for fitness (Im saying the F word a lot lately) my long rides have pushed me toward very good touring fitness. Long sustained efforts have been the norm for me this summer.
So Im setting it up. Doin' it for real.


DLD

1 comment:

  1. Ben and I can help out setting up a touring clinic (and tour) next year. We have designated next summer the, "Bliz Bike Tour Summer." (catchy name, right?)

    ReplyDelete