QUOTE OF THE WEEK: "Close you eyes, clear your heart, cut the cord." THE KILLERS

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Hell Froze Over.







I am not very good or lucky at gambling. A month ago I posted on how I sent my first entry into the Fat Tire 40 in many years. Yesterday I found that my check was cashed and Im in. First time back to that race since 2002.
 2001
1423   5:16:51.27   523   DITTRICH, DAN L    7.802 MPH 258   1587

 2002
1394   4:22:23.62   543   DITTRICH, DAN L    9.421 MPH 263 1542


Those results being my only two attempts at this race. As you can see, a personal best should not be hard to do. I remember the first year. Over 5 hours in the saddle. I was completely destroyed and swore I would never do it again. Until the next year anyway. I remember limping for a week after. I did send in my entry in 2003, 2004 and 2005. All denied.
So I stopped sending in. The race just so happens to fall on a weekend that there's a popular century ride here in town so I always had something to do bike riding wise.
But this year I will be in Hayward, WI. Trying to complete the race in less than 4 hours 22 min. So there. I have a goal. A reason to try and get faster on the bike. Lose some weight.
The first year I did the race I had just started riding. I was not in any shape (obviously). I was (only) 41 years old then. I do think it would be kinda cool to come back at 52 years old and beat that time from 11 years ago.


So today hell froze over as the Fat Tire Gods voted to accept me. I ran out to buy a lottery ticket just in case things keep rolling in the respect. I'll need the money so I can stop working and start training full time with this and the Iceman in my future.
Today is going to be a windy 3 plus hours on the Madone to start things off.


Bring it on.


DLD

No comments:

Post a Comment