QUOTE OF THE WEEK: "Close you eyes, clear your heart, cut the cord." THE KILLERS

Monday, June 25, 2012

KNEE REPLACEMENT

840am

Another day where I will try to use as little amount of words as I can. Another stellar morning in the HP. Sun was shining off the water. Awesome.
That was short and sweet.

So all the speculation of my knee problems came to light Friday with a visit to the doc. Multiple pics of my knee reveled that I no longer have any cartilage in my right knee. Its bone on bone. It cant be repaired. I need a complete knee replacement. Bummer.
This knee was repaired once before as a teenager. I was racing motorcycles and wrecked it pretty bad. Had cartilage removed in 1978. This is because of that and I guess its remarkable that it lasted 34 more years before wearing out. My other knee is fine.

So as I stared at the ground while getting this news the doc introduced me to the drug cortisone. While the replacement is inevitable, this drug might be able to let me hold off to when its best. If there is a best time for such a thing. He stuck a big needle in my knee and unloaded a boatload of the stuff. That was Friday noon. By Saturday morn it felt much better. Only about 20% of the pain remained and I rode a little over 2 hours and a little over 30 miles. I would say I finished with less than 10% of the pain from the day before.

Sunday
Sunday I grabbed the Trucker and laid down some 40 miles with 3 plus hours in the saddle.
Pretty much pain free.
I can feel a "pressure" but really no pain. So steady as she go's. Doc says I cant hurt it any more so I can do as much riding as I want as long as I can take the pain.
So.... next weeks tour up north is on. I leave next Tuesday the 3rd and will ride north to Eagle River, then west to Sayner where I will meet up with the Fam on Saturday the 7th. 
Doc says I can have up to three of these cortisone shots total. I already used one so I hope two more can get me thru the summer. As long as these shots help with the pain I wont slow down much. Thats the plan anyway.
I will lay down a few more rides with the Trucker as I always "train" for what Im doing next and since its the tour then that means ride the Trucker full time till I leave.
So thats what I will do.
By the way, the Brooks saddle feels great.
Its Monday and I have a shit ton of bike stuff to order.
Work is calling.

DLD

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about that knee, Dan! Here's hoping that the cortisone keeps you comfortable for awhile...

    Sarah
    www.thinfluenced.com

    ReplyDelete