QUOTE OF THE WEEK: "Close you eyes, clear your heart, cut the cord." THE KILLERS

Friday, September 21, 2012

THE (my) PARK


The morning hours is not the only time I visit my Happy Place. Some days Im there as much a three times. On those days at least once is by bike. Its a fav destination for many riders and you pass a ton of bikes when there. And if the park is not cool enough by itself, its also the route there that gets me.
From the store I ride only about 4 blocks until Im out of the "downtown" area. Then its about 4 miles along Lake Michigan. Awesome views. Then its another two miles on wooded roads to get to the park. And I mean deep woods. Tree canopy's for at least a mile of that.
Then, six miles and your in the park. In the park, I have a "road loop" and a "cross bike loop" that I do that has a little woods in it.
Then, I exit the park from the back road and ride a few miles to a small road that actually access the back of the marsh area behind (south) of the park. Tons of wildlife there. Its all private land so I gatta stay on the road but you can see a ton of wetland there.
A month ago a coyote crossed the road right in front of me in the middle of the day.

This ride had been a fav of mine. Its about an hour and 15 minutes or so depending on how many side trips I take and around 17 to 20 miles total. Mostly I do this one as my nooner for lunch. And almost always by myself.

Cross bike is ride of choice this time of year. Cross bike loop is my fav.

Nowadays the park is empty and the deer come out more now that the crowds are gone. I swear they recognise me. I can ride right up to them. Sometimes I have to shoo them off the road to keep going....

This park has been a big part of my latter years of life. Just a place to go I guess. Soon I hope winter bring some snow and Im able to groom out some XC ski trails. We got shut out last year. That was a bummer.

But not to rush the seasons. Still got fall to enjoy. Trees are starting to turn.
Get outside ans enjoy. Do it for real.
Have a good weekend.

DLD

1 comment:

  1. Sounds and looks like a great place. Next time I am in the area, I will check it out.

    Thanks for the post!
    RL

    ReplyDelete