QUOTE OF THE WEEK: "Close you eyes, clear your heart, cut the cord." THE KILLERS

Thursday, April 25, 2013

FAVORITE BIKE

845am

Ive started to take my real camera with me more and not just rely on my phone for pics. Now that I have some of my pictures up for sale in the store I might carry it around more. In fact Im looking for a new camera. The one I use for all those pics, if not my phone, is a 99 dollar Walmart camera.

As I sit here in my office Im waiting for employees to show up and maybe get a bit warmer to get out for the first ride on the Felt F1.

Maiden voyages on $10k bikes was something I never thought I would do. Even owning a bike store its a bit tough to swing that expensive a bike. But the manufactures have programs to let guys like me ride their stuff and I take advantage of it. Really, you don't get rich owning a bike store so you have to take advantage of every perk you can get you hands on.

In a way, it ruins some of the experience. I remember back in 08' I bought my first Madone. It was a 5.2 that I got for $2500 bucks. I was pretty pumped. Today, with the store, bikes like the F1, Madone and Domane are no big deal. Get em, demo em, sell em.

Ive always said its really like a rental program. Sure, I can ride these cool bikes but I cant keep them. From day one they are bikes for sale. So its not like its mine. I cant personalize it. All the warning stickers still plastered all over the bike.
So here's the bike all ready for me to ride. All measured up. Dura Ace Di2 all charged and ready to go. My only decision was wheels. Easton or Dura Ace... or both. How bout Easton Monday thru Thursday and Dura Ace Friday thru Sunday. Such tough decisions.

I realize its going to be a bit tough to get any sympathy for this situation as I roll up to the Saturday group. And even tho I complain a bit about this I really do enjoy riding this stuff as much as anybody.

So being able to ride all these bike do I have a favorite? I do.


Its pretty much the only bike I own. Pinky is a 2002 Trek X01. Its been in many different configurations. Road bike, cross bike, single speed and tour bike.

Today its sitting in storage and is waiting to someday be reborn. And it will. Pinky is very patient with me. Sometimes sitting over a year before rebuilds. And when I do rebuild its  always with new parts. That bike can clean up pretty good when finished.

I have a lot of memories on this bike and someday will have a post about all the bikes it has been.

I will never sell it. Its worth a lot to me and almost nothing to everyone else.

And that makes it my favorite bike in the world.

DLD

1 comment:

  1. It's about the ride not the bike right Danno??? :-) Nice read!

    ReplyDelete